Thursday, October 12, 2006

Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds

Hello Corinna fans, how is everyone today. Welp gonna cut straight to it today, Heres my Journal entry from today's screening.

I was quite surprised today after watching Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. It could be because I spent Monday working on the Shot Analysis project, but I found myself paying more attention to the types of shots and camera angles used in this film, than usual. Melanie Daniels' character was almost always shot in soft focus making her seem picture perfect, compared to the crisp shots of other characters. I also noticed the use of different camera angles at different points in the movie. For example, a Dutch Angle Shot was used on Lydia Brenner while she was in bed after seeing her friends mauled body. It added to the unease and confusion that Lydia must have been feeling at the time. Another camera angle I noticed was in the shot where Melanie was inside the telephone booth during the bird attack. The camera was at an unusually high angle showing the very top half of her body as she frantically moved around in the small area making the telephone booth seem that much smaller and confining. Another thing I notced about this movie was lack of sound/ suspense music. This was the first Alfred Hitchcock movie I had watched, and I know that hes supposed to be a master of suspense film, but honestly it completely left my mind that it was supposed to be a thriller. There were quite a few scenes were I though some building thriller music would have made the movie that much more suspenseful and stronger. For example the scene near the end of the film were Melanie (in the Brenner House) goes upstairs to check on a suspicious noise she hears and is about to open the door to the room. It could probably be just me, but I find music and sound play important roles, especial in suspense and horror movies. Someone once told me, that music and sound is what makes a horror movie scary, if you turn of the sound, the movie is no longer scary.
So yes, that is all for this entry. I just thought it was pretty interesting that I was starting to notice some of the technical elements of film, rather than just literal.

No comments: