Monday, January 15, 2007

saw David Copperfield today


I went to see David Copperfield today w/ my family. I believe it was our very first family outting with all 5 of us. I'm a little upset to offer a sigh for the day. I was a little bit....dissapointed.... It made me sad cuz I think its because i'm getting old. I remember when I was little I used to watch David Copperfield w/ a passion and I loved his magic tricks. I was seriously amazed when I saw him on tv. Today.... i dunno why I kept on thinking about how it was fixed and how he chose specific audience members. It was really sad. All the really amazing stuff about how he got like.... the car underneath the cover so incredibly fast, or made things appear/disappear. I shoulda been amazed at that stuff but... i dunno. I just kept on thinking about the technical stuff and how, i knew it wasn't really magic and that it was just clever tricks. Arg really depressing. I wanted to see a lot more of his.... really magical tricks. Like flying or something. A lot of his stuff today was done w/ the help of machines and videos, so I thought it really took it away. I kept on saying that the audience members must've been in on it, because that was the only way. And I thought a lot of the dialouge exchange seemed so staged. Arg I'm such a critic I dont know whats happened to me. However, the very last trick that he did, I thought was going to make me believe again. DC started throwing out these giant blowup balls and said whoever was holding one when the music stopped would get to go on stage. And seriously when Felix caught that rubber ball i was like *holy shit, this is gonna be amazing, this is totally going to put my doubts away if he makes felix disappear* But alas. All they made felix do was sit in a chair and watch the OTHER people disappear. quite depressing. i dont want to be old... sob sob

But on another note. I remembered something from watching Memoirs of a Geisha the other day. Even considering that it had your typical *cinderella-like* story line. There was one line that i really liked. The old Chiyo narrator said something like "Now anyone was calling themselves a Geisha" I dunno why but that line really stuck in my head. When i was lying in bed that night I kept on thinking of that and why i made note of it. I just think that... something like a true Geisha is an art. And if you think being a Geisha means wearing pretty kimono's and make up, you cant seriously understand what a real Geisha is. If I was the real life Sayuri I would be SO angry seeing these young adolescent girls walking around practically mocking something that meant so much to me. I mean, how many years of training did it take Chiyo and all those other girls to become even a miko. And then here in the exact same place they grew up were tons of girls walking around pretending to be Geisha's and having absolutely no clue what it meant to be a Geisha. Arg. Just thinkging about it makes me kinda angry. I mean, not just the art of Geisha, but a lot of other things that people do too. Good things take time to learn and I guess maybe it kind of annoys me at how people are always trying 2 find faster ways to get it. The only example i can think of right now is those, 'get-rich scheme's' or these tv degrees, that say you can get a good degree in 4 months in the comfort of your own home. Its kinda disgusting. Why can't you be like everyone else and work hard for 4 years. Its disgusting seeing someone flaunt something off that they haven't properly earned. I think the equivilant of that currently is the word poseur. (spell check) In high school I think i might've been one, and i feel kinda ashamed. As of now I dont 'think' I'm one anymore, but I'm not sure. If I am someone please tell me.

No comments: